From Aurora, Colorado, USA:

I am 29 years old and have type 2 diabetes. I have tried everything, and I am on two pills for diabetes. My blood sugars at this point in time run about 450 mg/dl [25 mmol/L], which I know is very high. I really want to have a baby, but my doctors say that won't happen until I get my blood sugars down. Is this right? Do you have any suggestions on how to get pregnant?

You can get pregnant with sugars as high as yours, but that would place the baby at high risk of abnormalities. With blood sugars as high as yours, and considering that you want to try for a pregnancy, I would suggest starting insulin. You should be in much better control before trying to conceive. You will have to switch anyway since the oral hypoglycemic agents are not recommended during pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning