From Santiago, Chile:

I'm 30 years old and have had type 1 for four years. My father just died because he had liver cancer and type 2 diabetes. Last year, he had a blood test that showed an alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. My siblings and I have had this test done, and we all have this deficiency. Does this deficiency affect my diabetes? Do I need to do more tests?

As you probably know, alpha-1 antitrypsin disease results in lung disease and liver disease. The liver disease may be severe enough to result in cirrhosis. When liver disease is very severe, this will result in a higher risk of hypoglycemia when you are taking insulin. You need some feedback from your physician about the presence of any liver disease. In addition, you may need to test more frequently to avoid hypoglycemia. Since the disease is a chronic genetic disorder, the degree of severity will vary, and you need to know where you are at in the history of this disorder.