From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

I am 37 years old and overweight and have two episodes of what seems to be low blood sugar. I haven't been tested for diabetes in a few years, but my dad has diabetes. I don't really understand the difference between hypoglycemia and diabetes. I know that over-medication can lead to hypoglycemia in people with diabetes, but if I have hypoglycemia, am I at a higher risk for diabetes?

Diabetes is a condition in which your body does not process sugar correctly, and one usually has high blood sugars prior to diagnosis. Please see our discussion of type 2 diabetes for a more thorough description.

Low blood sugar (or hypoglycemia) is a condition may cause a variety of symptoms including sweating, feeling jittery, and many more. Please see our page on Hypoglycemia for a more thorough discussion of hypoglycemia.

If you indeed believe you have been suffering from hypoglycemia or may have diabetes, it is important you discuss your concerns with your physician.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia