From Victoria, Australia:

My son is 17 and was diagnosed when he was 12. I read often on the chat rooms that most people in America use a pump. Can you tell me why the pump is not at all popular in Australia? I saw one once and had it explained briefly to me. Is it a good alternative to injections for a very active teenager who engages in sports and motorbike riding. How does it work?

Many, but not most, people with type 1 diabetes in the United States use insulin pumps. I suspect that there are more pumps being used in Australia than you realize. If you call one of the major diabetes centers there, someone should be able to discuss this option with you. It is possible, that since there is national health insurance in Australia, the pump may not be offered readily because of the costs.

Insulin pump therapy is, indeed, an excellent treatment option for an active teenager. Keep in mind, however, that insulin pump therapy does require a great deal of education and work. Your son and his diabetes team need to be completely committed to assuring success. I suggest that you and your son visit the MiniMed, Disetronic, and Animas websites for more information on currently available insulin pumps. It may also be helpful for you, along with your son, to view our slide show, Is pumping for you?.

Posted to Insulin Pumps