Question:

From Israel:

Our two and one-half year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 at one year of age. I've read the information you have on the site concerning diabetes and school, and am still unclear as to who is required to do blood sugar testing in school. My concern is specifically with a young child who is unable to do the whole thing alone. Do you have any info as to guidelines internationally, or in any other countries besides the US? I've contacted the JDF here in Israel, and it seems there are no laws in place. The social worker there even told me her own son's preschool teachers just fed him, and she would come to test and give insulin. he only "found him low twice". This seems unacceptable to me, though I am wondering what I can reasonably expect and try to fight for.

Answer:

Sorry, we don't presently have information available about other countries. I wish we did, and I hope that any reader who has such information would share it with us so we can post it.

I believe that all school and daycare centers should be able to check blood sugars, treat lows, and monitor food for children incapable of self-management. It has taken a long time in the US to get these laws in place, and even then, there are some people who are still having difficulty getting proper accommodations.

I would suggest that you contact the Ministry of Education in Israel to see what rules there are about children with chronic illnesses in general, and diabetes specifically. If no such rules exist, you might share those from the US and see if you can them implemented.

SS

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare