Question:

From Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA:

My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two years ago. Her younger brother, age 6, tested positive for islet cell antibodies through the DPT-1 study. As we evaluate the option to allow him to be randomized into the DPT-1 study, we struggle with two issues on which you may be able to shed some light. First, are there other diabetes prevention studies we should be evaluating? Second is there info and advice on the psychological impacts of taking a healthy kid and putting him/her through lots of blood work, daily medications, and potential annual hospitalization?

Answer:

There are no other similar trials in the US, but ENDIT in Britain, and CANENDIT in Canada, have similar goals using nicotinamide. The Miami center has been looking at the psychological issues, but has not published anything yet. There is a group of about 40 being followed here, and I talked to our very good medical social worker who said that some children worry a little, but there has been nothing that she could not contain with reassurance.