From Circleville, Ohio, USA:

My five year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago. At his most recent check-up, I was told that he had a trace of protein in his urine. They said not to be concerned at this time, but that in older patients it could be a sign of kidney damage. Should I worry now? What should I do?

It is exceedingly unlikely, at this age and so soon after diagnosis, that the protein in the urine has any connection with you son's diabetes. If he is otherwise in good health, I think all that needs to be done is to repeat the original dipstick test one or two times. If the DOB