From Van Buren, Arkansas, USA:

My 12 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two and one-half years ago. He has used a pump for over a year now, and life is so much more pleasant! I have time now to concentrate on details.

The problem is my son refuses to wear any type of jewelry or device that indicates he has diabetes. I've bought two necklaces and one bracelet. They've all been quickly "lost." He doesn't wear a watch so I can't put a device on his watchband. Do you have any ideas on how to get him to wear some sort of discrete medical identification, without going to war?

He certainly must have some form of ID indicating that he has diabetes for his own safety. This should not be a negotiable issue (just like other safety issues are non-negotiable). There are many, many options for medical alert ID's. Some are very sporty, and look more like friendship bracelets. It's interesting that he is willing to wear an insulin pump, which publicly announces that he has diabetes, yet he wont wear an ID. You may wish to have an open conversation with him about this discrepancy, and engage him in helping to find a solution to the ID issue.

[Editor's comment: We have some neat Medical Identification Products shown here. Maybe you and your son could check them out and find one he will wear. SS]

Posted to Behavior