Question:

From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

My 12 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for about two months. He lives with his mother who provides excellent care for him in all respects. He visits me overnight on weekends. I usually prepare one or two meals for him using high quality frozen dinners because they provide balanced nutrition, and supplement with fruits, omelettes for breakfast, sandwiches for snacks, milk, etc. Today his noon reading was high, and his mother indicated that she thought it was because I fed him the frozen foods. Is there validity in this concern?

Answer:

You sound like a very caring dad. I am glad you are trying to maintain as close to normal lifestyle as possible for your son with diabetes and prepare appropriate foods for him. I would encourage you to continue as is since it sounds fine, but also to visit the dietitian on the diabetes team. She probably has a meal plan prepared for your son, so you know the amounts to give him, and she can give you more ideas. Again, keep up the good work in trying to keep things as normal as possible when there is a split household. Diabetes is stressful itself, so I applaud you for keeping a positive attitude.

LSF