Question:

From North Richland Hill, Texas, USA:

I got diagnosed with diabetes, and a friend has a tester called a [brand name of a meter]. How can I get one?

Answer:

I see that you live in Texas, where the state law supports people with diabetes by providing diabetes education and blood testing supplies. I suggest you talk with your physician about this and get a prescription for the meter and strips to use with it. Also ask your physician about seeing a diabetes educator who can help you learn about taking care of yourself and how the blood test results can help you make decisions about your diabetes.

KS

[Editor's comment: It's possible that after you look at all the meters that are available (see Blood Glucose Meters), you and your diabetes educator might decide that a different meter is really the best for you! WWQ]