Question:

From Conroe, Texas, USA:

I have had a fair amount of hypoglycemia for about 10 years. I have lupus, secondary Sjogrens Syndrome, and I am hypothyroid. Recently, my fasting blood sugar has been around 130-140 mg/dl [7.2-7.8 mmol/L]. Is there any correlation between these conditions and getting diabetes?

Answer:

As a matter of fact, there is a relationship between lupus, Sjogrens Syndrome, and hypothyroidism and developing typeá1 diabetes. These disorders are all referred to as autoimmune disorders. That is, the immune system causes damage to all the tissues involved. I would warn you against having recurrent low blood sugars as these are known to increase the risk of not sensing very low sugars and a possible loss of consciousness or seizure.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.