Question:

From Detroit, Michigan, USA:

I usually feel very fatigued in the morning and also about an hour after I eat lunch. I asked my physician if I possibly had some type of hypoglycemia. He told me to monitor my ingestion of carbohydrates and other simple sugars. He did not do any kind of blood sugar tests. My symptoms include severe headaches, shakiness (small tremors in hands), and inability to concentrate. I have a younger brother who complains of the same symptoms and I have some uncles who have diabetes. I am 25 years old and have had these symptoms since my teenage years. I am looking for any suggestions. Change in eating habits? Someone suggested that I try taking glucose pills when experiencing these symptoms.

Answer:

The symptoms you describe do not necessarily occur only in hypoglycaemia, and you are right, the only way of knowing for sure is to check your blood glucose. However, I would suggest that hypos are not the cause of your symptoms, and I would advise you seek further help, perhaps from an endocrinologist. There are other causes of your symptoms, which can be relatively easily looked into, such as thyroid. disease.

JS