Question:

From Georgia, USA:

My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three years ago. She recently had a C-peptide test which shows that her body is producing some insulin, but very low levels. She displayed all the classic symptoms of type 1 (weight loss, increased thirst, high ketone levels, high blood sugar levels, and increased urination) at diagnosis. Her endocrinologist is now prescribing Glucophage along with her regular insulin regimen. This is all very strange to us, and we cannot find any information about people with about type 1 diabetes who continue to produce insulin.

Answer:

It is possible to have both types of diabetes, type 1 and type 2. I really believe this. Type 2 is common in the population; type 1 is more rare. So children with type1 can also have the propensity to develop type 2. Type 2 has as a hallmark insulin resistance and other medical problems such as hypertension and cholesterol problems. I guess your daughter's doctor thinks there is some reason whereby your daughter has the potential to have type 2 and have some insulin resistance. Glucophage [metformin] is used to treat type 2, but it is not approved by the FDA to treat children, but is approved to treat diabetes. Most endocrinologists will treat children with type 2 with Glucophage.