From Edgewater, Maryland, USA:

I am almost 18 years old and have had diabetes since I was 12. I've never stuck to a diabetic diet or any other diet. To be honest, I've noticed lately that my blood sugar levels have been jumping up and down on a day to day basis, and I'm starting to get worried about what could happen if I don't get my diabetes under control. Could you please offer some solutions that could help me out?

I find that many of my older adolescents decide to manage their diabetes. With the newfound resolve must come new found knowledge. Go back to school: see your educator and dietitian. Relearn or learn for the first time all they have to teach. You will apply it this time. Next consider how you are managing the diabetes: number of shots, number of glucose checks. Are you doing what you need to do to manage the diabetes correctly for you at this time?

I expect the above will help you do a better job of controlling the glucoses.

[Editor's comment: There are lots of options these days for treatment plans that allow flexibility in lifestyle. As Dr. Deeb has suggested, this would be a good time to see a diabetes team and learn about hem. Take charge of your diabetes. Don't let diabetes control your life. SS]

Posted to Daily Care and Complications