Question:

From Mumbai, India:

My nine year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with type 1. What diet does she need to follow her so that the levels remain under control? What fruits can be given keeping the same in mind? Is it possible to avoid insulin and give pills?

Answer:

For type 1 diabetes there is no "pill" that will take the place of the insulin injections, I am sorry to say. I hope you have a good team (doctor, nurse, dietitian) that can give your family a meal plan that will work with your daughter's food likes and dislikes. Fruits and juices are fine to include, but please check with the dietitian regarding specifics.

LSF

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Daily Care