Question:

From Corpus Christi, Texas, USA:

I am a 29 year old women with type 2 diabetes. My doctor told me to start a low carb diet, but didn't give me any help with it. Can you give me a food list for a low carb diet?

Answer:

It would be a good idea to find out how much of a restriction of carbohydrate your doctor is recommending. A visit with a dietitian would also be very helpful in regard to setting up a meal plan.

The carbohydrate content of foods which are packaged may be found under the total carbohydrate heading on the label. Foods that contain carbohydrate include milk, fruits, some vegetables, and grains and cereals. Carbohydrate is an important part of energy production in the body and the foods in which carbohydrate is found contain many of the essential nutrients for our bodies. There are many books available in regular bookstores which list the carbohydrate content of foods. I would suggest that you consult your health care team before embarking on a low carbohydrate diet.

JM