Question:

From Athens, Alabama, USA:

I am a 15 year old female. Last week, I had a glucose tolerance test done. My blood sugar was 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] 30 minutes after I drank the drink, Then, the last time they took my blood it was 56 mg/dl [3.1 mmol/L]. I was feeling really dizzy like I was about to pass out. My doctor said this was normal. My biology teacher has hypoglycemia, and her son has diabetes. She said this is not good. She checks my blood at school, and sometimes it can be high and sometimes it can be low. Should I ask for another doctor to look at the test or should I just go with what he says?

Answer:

Depending on the laboratory and the type of glucose test, ranges for normal on blood sugar in someone who does not have diabetes can vary. In general, however, a normal blood sugar is typically 65-110 mg/dl [3.6-6.1 mmol/L] (with some variation as above). Please see Screening for Type 2 Diabetes for help interpreting a glucose tolerance test. Your questions should also be fully addressed by your physician to your satisfaction.