Question:

From Russellville, Alabama, USA:

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes about seven months ago, I went in to a psychosis for about one month. I would not tell anybody how I was feeling because I thought they would think I was crazy. I finally got so sick. I thought I was dying. Have you known of people going in to psychosis?

Answer:

Psychosis is a serious diagnosis.. Did a physician make that diagnosis or are you describing how you felt?

In my own experience, I am unaware of psychosis being a prelude to diabetes. If your blood sugars were fluctuating wildly, you may have felt psychotic or experienced severe mood swings. However, I would need to know more to help you evaluate your experience. Did you hear voices or see things that others may not have seen? Were you feeling enraged? Did you harm yourself or feel like it? All of these questions are best asked of a psychiatrist in your own area.

Please do not hesitate to contact one if you experience strange feelings again. Not talking about how you feel leaves you isolated and afraid. Trust someone with your thoughts, please.

CMB

Posted to Behavior