From Mentor, Minnesota, USA:

My seven year old grandson was diagnosed eight months ago with type 1. My daughter says that his blood sugars are running over 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L], and she is having a difficult time with them. She said that he could be getting sick. Could this cause it? He is on carb counting, but the doctor doesn't put a limit on the sugar content of the food, only the amount of carbs. Could this be why he runs so high?

Illness could cause blood glucose readings to be high, and so it is important to keep track of the readings and give extra insulin if necessary. Your grandson's diabetes team should be able to advise how to do this.

A healthy diet is important, and keeping to a diet with reasonable amounts of carbohydrate such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. A dietitian should give advice on the meal plan.

[Editor's comment: Two other possibilities are that he is coming out of his honeymoon or going through a growth spurt, both of which can increase insulin requirements. You should suggest that your daughter contact her son's diabetes team to discuss what is going on and devise a new treatment plan to alleviate the problem. SS]