Question:

From Sydney, Australia:

I'm a 31 year old female who wishes to become pregnant very soon. My endocrinologist says my HbA1c is within the normal range and that it is fine if I wish to get pregnant. However, I still have some very high readings and would like to know whether a few high levels now and then can affect a growing baby.

Answer:

Ideally, your blood sugar should be as near normal as possible prior to conception, and particularly during the first eight weeks of pregnancy. Practically, control will not be perfect. A few high values are bound to happen should not be of major consequence. Blood sugar goals should be a fasting of less than 90 mg/dl {5 mmol/L] and a one-hour after meals of less than 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. During the pregnancy, surveillance, by means of blood testing and ultrasound will be used to make sure the baby is growing well and without abnormalities.

Posted to Family Planning