From Sydney, Australia:

I'm a 31 year old female who wishes to become pregnant very soon. My endocrinologist says my HbA1c is within the normal range and that it is fine if I wish to get pregnant. However, I still have some very high readings and would like to know whether a few high levels now and then can affect a growing baby.

Ideally, your blood sugar should be as near normal as possible prior to conception, and particularly during the first eight weeks of pregnancy. Practically, control will not be perfect. A few high values are bound to happen should not be of major consequence. Blood sugar goals should be a fasting of less than 90 mg/dl {5 mmol/L] and a one-hour after meals of less than 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. During the pregnancy, surveillance, by means of blood testing and ultrasound will be used to make sure the baby is growing well and without abnormalities.

Posted to Family Planning