Question:

From America On-Line:

My 45 year old husband plays racquetball three times a week and is relatively healthy. For months, my husband was experiencing dizziness, fatigue, and inability to concentrate. Finally, his doctor said that he has hypoglycemia and suggested a change in my husband's diet. My husband and I are confused by this diagnosis.

The doctor said that my husband was to no longer have carbohydrates (breads, pastas, rice) or sugars, and he is to eat every two to three hours. Where can I locate a diet with some realistic food directives? Can he eat fruits? Will he ever be able to eat breads or pastas again? He literally has been living on protein bars, burgers (no buns), tuna salad, etc. Please give me some advice along with the reason this happened.

Answer:

I commend your efforts to try to understand what is a hard to understand meal plan. We have usually found that bread, cereals, fruits, desserts are fine to have, if eaten with other foods which have protein and fat in them (such as have some meat with the potatoes). It sounds as though you are eliminating all carbohydrates and that will make a pretty boring diet, plus it will not have the nutrients that your husband needs.

Basically, most doctors would advise that your husband should have about six meals per day (so add snacks between meals of peanut butter and crackers or cheese and crackers or cottage cheese and fruit, for example). If he has a sweet, it is probably best to have it with a meal, as cookies or cake or some fruit with a meal. He should not have candy or fruit or juice by itself since this type of carbohydrate will cause his pancreas to put out extra insulin and probably over-shoot the amount he needs, resulting in hypoglycemia.

LW

[Editor's comment: It would be very helpful to discuss the meal plan with a dietitian who is familiar with diabetes and hypoglycemia meal plans. WWQ]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Hypoglycemia