Question:

From Scunthorpe, North Lincs, England:

My 13 year old son has been on insulin for four months. He has had a blood test which showed that he has MODY. They have taken him off insulin and put him on tablets, new to us in the United Kingdom. Have you tried this? What are your results?

Answer:

Without knowing what the name of the medication is and what specific variety of Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY) your son has it is difficult to comment. My guess is that it is one of the oral agents of which the most likely is Glucophage [metformin] which inhibits hepatic glucose production. Good blood glucose control is usually straightforward in cases of MODY.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes