Question:

From Thane Maharastra State, India:

I am 48 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for the last 25 years. I take 30 units of U-40 human Mixtard in the morning. For the last on year or so, I find that my underwear gets torn near my penis. Is it because my urine is acidic?

Answer:

The urine of people with diabetes is not necessarily more acidic than the urine of people without diabetes. However, it does contain a higher amount of glucose. The glucose could serve as a fuel for bacteria and promote bacterial breakdown in the area. Therefore, it is important to maintain good control and good cleanliness to avoid problems with infection.