Question:

From St. George's, Bermuda:

My 14 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with high blood sugar (133 mg/dl [7.4 mmol/L]), and she is 50 pounds overweight. The doctor said this can be controlled by diet and advised vegetables and fruit. What types of food she should be eating? What she can take to school for lunch?

Answer:

I would highly recommend you find a dietitian who works with children to help you set up a meal plan which will be appropriate for your daughter. The amount of weight she needs to lose will require some time and should not be "starved" off. A balanced diet is appropriate for children who have what we call "impaired glucose tolerance". There are resources available throughout the Internet to get written information for diet, the American Diabetes Association is one of them. The publication, Exchanges for Meal Planning is one which might be of great benefit, however I believe you need someone to help you establish a meal plan appropriate for a teenager who may still be growing.

Sometimes, just eliminating regular soda, juices and foods with sugar in them will go a long way to help control blood sugars and produce weight loss. In addition, the reduction of high fat foods such as french fries, lunch meats, bacon, sausage, whole milk, butter or margarine and salad dressings will help reduce calories. Fruits and vegetables, added in place of high sugar foods, are an excellent way to improve the nutrients in the diet while helping to make one feel fuller. Using more whole grain products such as brown rice in place of white rice, whole wheat breads and cereals, etc. also helps. A good school lunch might include a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato, carrot sticks with reduced calorie dip, 1 ounce of low fat potato chips or pretzels, an apple and skim or 2% milk ( not chocolate).

Remember that activity is also a big factor in weight loss. Be sure to check with your daughter's doctor before beginning an exercise routine. Walking is a great exercise.

JM