Question:

From The United Kingdom:

My five year old niece was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago. She and her mother (my sister) are not coping at all well. I know it is only very early stages yet, but would appreciate any helpful tips that would help my niece to adjust more smoothly and perhaps with less tears from both mother and child. My sister is trying her best to behave as natural as possible in front of her daughter, but is finding it harder as each day goes by. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Answer:

Tears from a mother at the time of her child's diagnosis are normal. It takes a few weeks for the reality to set in and then knowledge can replace fears. Ask your diabetes nurse, and use this website, to get basic answers to your questions in the coming months. Meanwhile, allow the mom to cry about the diabetes in safety. This is not what she planned for her child, and there is so very much to learn.

A parents' support group would really be of help. The parents of kids with diabetes are the very best resource a mom can have. Look into one at your local Diabetes UK office.

CMB

Posted to Behavior