Question:

From Taipei, Taiwan:

I am 30 years old, female, married with no children yet, and have had type 1 for 12 years. If I found I had a clot in my retina, can I prevent it from developing further? Can it spread even if my HbA1c is maintained at around 6.5%?

Answer:

I assume the "clot" in your retina that you refer to was maybe described to you as a clogged vessel, that this "clot" was said to be a result of your diabetes. That having been said, diabetes does cause small vessel disease, microvascular complications. In the eye, this condition is called diabetic retinopathy and one feature is "clogged" vessels. Controlling your blood sugar and maintaining a low HbA1c of 6.0% or less has been shown in studies to lower your risk of progression. Elevated HbA1c will surely increase the likelihood of progression.

CAG