Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I have a family who has a young child with diabetes that is unable to get Medicaid to pay for the test strips the child uses daily. The cost is 80-90 dollars a month, and the family needs help. Do you know of any sources for such help or can you tell me who to talk to with Medicaid to change this policy? Any help would be appreciated!

Answer:

Call up the most senior Medicaid official you can find. The test strips should be covered with simple letters of medical necessity by the physician in charge. If they refuse, get a lawyer to go after the dumb administrators.