From Lawton, Oklahoma, USA:

I am 39, eight months pregnant with my fourth child, and weigh 173 pounds. I'm going in for a three-hour glucose test because my one- hour test was elevated. I had extremely low blood sugar with my last child, born six years ago, to the point that during birth, both my daughter and I went into sugar shock. My symptoms were immediately gone after I ate. However, my little one however had to battle with pricking and sugar water for a few days. Having had low blood sugar most of my life, how can it be, that all of a sudden my levels are high? I am very confused.

Due to some of the hormones produced during pregnancy, a mother can develop resistance to the insulin produced by her body. This can result in an elevated blood glucose (hyperglycemia). Thus, pregnancy can alter how your body handles sugar.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes