From Oroville, California, USA:

My daughter has three children and had gestational diabetes with all three. All three were born by emergency C-section and are very healthy. What are the odds they will develop diabetes? How careful should we be with their diet? I can find no information concerning prevention in this situation. Please help!! I would feel horrible if I contributed to their ill health by not being careful enough.

Offspring of mothers with gestational diabetes have no significant increased risk of developing diabetes compared with the general population. As with any child, it is important to make sure they are brought up on a healthy diet, with regular exercise; no different to what we should all be doing.