From New York, New York, USA:

My 47 year old husband has had type 1 diabetes for 30 years. He has been hooked on Neosynephrine for several years and can no longer breathe through his nose. Are there any safe, long-term alternatives for people with diabetes who have chronic sinus/nasal conditions?

As a general rule, medications like Neosynephrine are not a good idea for patients with type 1 diabetes to continue long-term. The medication is able to be systemically absorbed and have effects elsewhere in the body. In diabetes, it will antagonize the effects of insulin. Locally, the tissues become resistant to the medication and larger doses need to be used to get the desired effect. All the while, the medication still has negative effects on insulin and blood sugars.

I would suggest you have your husband discuss this issue with his physician. There are some things that can be done to maintain the airway while he discontinues the use of the Neosynephrine.

Posted to Other Medications