Question:

From Dayton, Ohio, USA:

My six year old has what looks like acanthosis nigricans on her neck and behind her ears. Could there be another explanation for this besides diabetes? Could this be something other than acanthosis nigricans?

Answer:

I'm not a dermatologist, so I don't know everything that might be associated with Acanthosis Nigricans. I do know it is associated with insulin resistance and the propensity to develop diabetes, not with diabetes per se. Also, the question of what it really is can only be answered with eyes on. Maybe a consult with a dermatologist is indicated.