Question:

From Baytown, Texas, USA:

For the past year and a half, my left hand has had a slight tingling to an almost a numb sensation. I went to the doctor about it and he couldn't seem to give me any kind of diagnosis. I'm wondering if it is anything serious or If maybe I just did some nerve damage while working out in the yard. If you have any idea please let know.

Answer:

I am afraid I cannot give you more specific information about the cause of the numbness and tingling in your hand. However, if you have diabetes, there are many causes for such symptoms. First, diabetic neuropathy can give you such symptoms. People with diabetes also have an increased frequency of carpal tunnel syndrome. Many times you need an EMG (electromyogram) to differentiate the underlying cause of the symptoms. You need to see your doctor regarding these diagnoses.