Question:

From England:

My seven year old was diagnosed 10 months ago with type 1. Does this mean that he will live a normal life or will he lose his sight and will his kidneys fail? I just cannot come to terms with the fact I may lose him. I need reassurance. Please help. I am a single mum with no family to help. I think because I have lost a son. It makes this son so much more special to me.

Answer:

We know that looking after diabetes will help to reduce the risk of long term complications. Your son has the potential to live a normal life just like anyone else. The only thing is that he has diabetes which you and he will have to look after to make sure he stays well. Having diabetes does not inevitably lead to problems with vision, kidneys, etc., but we know that poor control greatly increases the risk of problems. We also know from studies like the DCCT. that looking after diabetes dramatically reduces the risk of developing problems related to diabetes.

It is hard to begin with to get everything into perspective. That's when it is important to look at other people who are in control of their diabetes and living life to the full. I personally feel that people like Steve Redgrave show that you can achieve great things despite having diabetes. Keep in touch with us and let us know how your son is getting on. With good care I'm sure he will do fine.

JS