From Herriman, Utah, USA:

My 20 month old son has recently been having trouble at night. He will wake up with sudden uncontrollable tantrums that can go on for hours and are only controlled by giving him food or liquid. A friend of mine mentioned children with diabetes sometimes experience nightmares/hallucinations. Have you heard of this being linked with diabetes?

No. Your son is probably having night terrors which are disturbing but completely benign. They pass and do not require treatment.

[Editor's comment: It sounds as though your son may be experiencing some hypoglycemia at night for whatever reason. I think I is important to discuss this issue with your son's pediatrician, and, perhaps, check some blood sugars when the problem occurs. SS]