Question:

From Tipp City, Ohio, USA:

My granddaughter was diagnosed in four months ago at the young age of 16 months. Last weekend, she stayed with me. At 8 pm, her sugar level was low (84 mg/dl [4.7 mmol/L]), so I gave her orange juice and her 10 carbs with protein. I tested her again at 2 am and it was up to 455 mg/dl [25.3 mmol/L]. I phoned her mother to tell her about it, and she assured me that she would be okay, and that if I gave her a shot she would be too low in the morning. I was so worried about her that I couldn't go back to sleep and I took her into my bed for the remainder of the night. She was very restless and cried out the rest of the night. I am very worried about her.

My granddaughter's readings are high most of the time, but then they can dip down to the high 40s and mid 50s [mg/dl; 2.2-2.9 mmol/L]. Is this normal for a child this age? She is going to a pediatric endocrinologist at the Children's Hospital. Her parents phone in her readings every week, and her insulin gets adjusted accordingly. Is this a good practice, or should they seek a second opinion?

This is the first exposure to diabetes that any of us have had. Since my granddaughter was diagnosed, her 11 year old half-uncle was also diagnosed. Other than that, we know of no other diabetes in any of the families.

Answer:

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your granddaughter but, I think your daughter is probably doing a good job. Children this age can be very erratic and blood sugar levels can fluctuate widely. I am pleased to hear that her endocrinologist is keeping a close eye on things. However, if things don't settle down, there's never any harm in requesting a second opinion.