From McCleary, Washington, USA:

I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last month, and my doctor said that I would need a glucose meter. She gave me a list of some brands to help me find one that is good for me. The only problem is that I am on a basic health insurance which doesn't cover meters or supplies, just the medication for diabetes. I don't have a well-paying job because I can't work in most places (I have severe epilepsy as well). Does anyone know of glucose meter companies that give out free meters for low income families that can't afford one, or don't have insurance that will cover it?

I would recommend you contact a diabetes educator in your area. You can find a listing by calling 1-800-TEAM UP 4 (the American Association of Diabetes Educators). Most, if not all, of us have access to free meters and even some free strips to get you started. I think this would be the most direct way to get the free supplies that you need to begin self management of your diabetes. It may also be possible to become part of a diabetes support group in your area to gain knowledge about your diabetes and, most importantly, what those blood glucose numbers are telling you.