Question:

From Williston, North Dakota, USA:

I am a 47 year old female with type 1 diabetes. In the last 18 months, I have developed Charcot Foot. I have gone through 15 casts, a regular boot, a custom boot, and now I am going to custom orthopedic shoes. My problem is the constant pain I have with the right foot. My doctor doesn't believe in any pain medication. Do I have to live the rest of my life with this pain? Can you recommend any help?

Answer:

Pain is a very complex issue for patient management. When the pain is expected to be chronic, I would recommend you speak to your physician about seeing a pain management specialist. Physicians in this area are used to seeing people who have diabetes and neuropathy. Special considerations can be given to using medications which will have a beneficial effect on pain, but not result in addiction to narcotics. There is also important consideration given to the emotional aspects of chronic pain.