Question:

From Hagerstown, Indiana, USA:

I am an 18 year old female diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at age four. I heard that glucose levels can affect a person's memory, especially if the glucose levels aren't being controlled properly. My sugar levels have been fluctuating for days now because I am under a lot of stress, and I am feeling kind of depressed. I was wondering if my memory for remembering things I need to for college exams, etc., is because my sugar level are levels being out of control. What do I do?

Answer:

You are correct that widely fluctuating blood sugar levels can contribute to problems with memory, mood, and the way you deal with stress. It is very important that you work closely with your diabetes team to improve blood sugar control and utilize whatever tools may be available to you to decrease your wide fluctuations in blood sugar. A good diabetes team will have the resources necessary to help you accomplish this goal! Also, type 2 diabetes at age four is exceedingly rare! Make sure your physician is sure about the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes to best choose a therapy to meet your needs.

[Editor's comment: It also might help ease things if you saw someone who can help you deal with your stress and depression. Ask for a referral to a medical social worker or psychologist who deals with people with diabetes. SS]