From a physician in California, USA:

I recall reading in a journal, this or last year, that carbonated drinks have been implicated in bone demineralization, especially in teenaged girls. If this is so, perhaps we should not be pushing diet sodas for people with diabetes.

Yes, there is a correlation between number of carbonated drinks and fractures, but remember correlation does not equal cause. That said, the argument is that soft drinks are high in phosphorus and low in calcium. Growing kids need calcium. I don't know of a single diabetes professional that recommends low calcium diets for kids: milk, cheese, calcium juices, meats, green veggies, all have calcium -- even cereal these days. So, moderation in soft drinks and lots of good food is the answer, and what we preach, I think.

[Editor's comment: The questioner is referring to the following: Consumption of Carbonated Drinks by Teenage Girls Associated With Bone Fractures. JSH]