Question:

From Pomona, New York, USA:

My 10 year old son has had diabetes for two months. For the last several years, I have noticed a foul odor in the bathroom after he urinates. Could this be related to his condition? If so, was his condition already brewing several years before we found out he had it? Could I have done something years prior to prevent it?

Answer:

I really don't know what the odour could be. Sugar is odourless and ketones, if you can smell them, aren't unpleasant. Classically, foodstuffs like asparagus cause the urine to smell odd. If your child is otherwise well, then I don't think you should worry, but if he is, for example, developmentally delayed then it would be worth mentioning this to his doctor.