From Jackson, Mississippi, USA:

My 12 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and was recently hospitalized for dehydration and ketoacidosis. She's coming home and is very afraid of shots. How are we going to treat her diabetes?

Needle phobia is certainly a challenge at any age. My suggestion would be to hook your daughter up with another 12 year old who has had diabetes longer and is unafraid of injections. Let her get some tips on how to lessen the pain and overcome the fear. Most of all, do not take over the responsibility for injections yourself. It is your child who has the diabetes and must learn to manage it. You can assist her. My hunch is that it isn't all about the needles, but it is about the diabetes.

If this suggestion does not work, then I recommend a phobia treatment counselor. They are specialists in this area.

[Editor's comment: Ask your daughter's diabetes nurse educator to show your daughter the Inject-Ease®. It's also called "the rocket", it is a helpful item for many kids, teens, and adults with needlephobia. WWQ]

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Behavior