Question:

From Altoona, Wisconsin, USA:

My 21 month old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for three months. In the beginning, it was a challenge to give her her insulin shots. Now she has good days and bad days with the shots. She has been getting them in the arms or legs; the other areas are impossible. Any tips on making the shots easier?

Answer:

I'm afraid that your problems will be well recognised by the parents of other young children with diabetes. All I can suggest is that you don't drag out the process. Your daughter has to get the message that when it's time, it's time and there's no room for negotiation. Get the unpleasantness over with as quickly as possible as this reduces stress all around. There's no point in trying to explain why it's necessary. Remember that the injections don't hurt -- it's the indignity of the process and being held that she objects to.

[Editor's comment: We have lots of suggestions posted. Please look through Ask the Diabetes Team: Blood Tests and Insulin Injections. SS]