Question:

From Riverton, Utah, USA:

My 18 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She is now on insulin. I read that current research is now showing the possible importance of C-peptide in preventing long term damage to other organs in the body. Is this the case? Is it possible right now to get C-peptide that can be combined with my daughter's insulin?

Answer:

Studies in Western Europe and Scandinavia in recent years have indeed shown that C-peptide can have a beneficial action on small blood vessels in the kidney, peripheral nerves and elsewhere probably by stimulating the enzyme sodium-potassium ATP transferase. So far as I know though, there has been no production for clinical use anywhere, and certainly it has not been endorsed by the FDA in the U.S.

My guess is that no pharmaceutical company here will make the necessary huge investment to get approval until there is a great deal more convincing evidence of benefit.

Posted to Other Medications and Complications