Question:

From Norwalk, Ohio, USA:

I am looking for the best meter to check my blood sugar at home. I just found out I had high blood sugar this past month. I am 45 and I have already had a triple by-pass just last year. Are there any free meters I could check out? Which is the easiest and best to operate and most accurate?

Answer:

You bring up a good and often asked question. Since you now know you have diabetes and you have already had heart problems, I would urge you to connect with a diabetes educator in your area to discuss meters for monitoring your blood sugar and to explain what those numbers are telling you. Most educators have free meters sitting in their office, provided by the manufacturers, as well as information on other important points of blood sugar management. If you do not know an educator in your area, you can call the American Association of Diabetes Educators (1-800-TEAM UP 4) for a listing close to you. Remember, diabetes is a self-managed disease. You are the one in charge and the more you know, the easier it will be.

KS

DTQ-ONCGBDM20001122
Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Social Issues: Community Resources