Question:

From Fountain Hills, Arizona, USA:

I am 33 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since I was 18. For the last several years, my emotions and hormones have been very unstable. Both are affected by my sugars and weight, but even though my sugars are under control my emotions are not. I never know when I wake up what I am going to feel like. Is there a resource about how diabetes affects hormones, emotions and depression and how to treat it?

Answer:

There is quite a bit of research now that shows a strong relationship between diabetes and depression in adults. Dr. Patrick Lustman has been one of the most prolific researchers in this area, and you may wish to read some of the papers he's written. Another good book for you was written by Dr. William Polonsky, called Diabetes Burnout: What To Do When You Can't Take it Anymore. It was recently published by the American Diabetes Association.

In addition to doing some reading, I strongly encourage you to seek the advice of a mental health professional. It sounds as if you struggle every day. No one needs to live their lives in that much pain. Please contact your diabetes team and ask for a referral to someone who understands diabetes.

JWB