From Pulaski, Virginia, USA:

My six year old grandson was diagnosed a year ago with type 2 diabetes. Three months ago, we learned that he was born with only one kidney, and only 90% of that was healthy because of damage from reflux that has now been surgically corrected. How much of a normal life will he be able to expect? He wants to play sports, and we encourage him, but I wonder if this is really advisable. I worry about possible injury to his kidney, but at the same time, I know he can't live in a bubble. It makes me nervous to even see him wrestling with his brothers.

The diabetes will not slow him down at all. I would expect that most physicians would not want him to play contact sports with only one kidney. That leaves swimming, golf, tennis, etc which are great lifetime sports.

[Editor's comment: It appears that you are concerned about the long term effect of diabetes on your grandson's already compromised kidney function. Maintaining good blood glucose control will go a long way in preventing future neuropathy. Your grandson's parents should be sure to discuss this and other precautions with his heathcare team, especially his diabetes team and nephrologist. SS]