Question:

From Hoboken, New Jersey, USA:

Ever since my son first developed diabetes three months ago, he has not gained any weight, but he hasn't lost any weight either. He's on very little insulin, just 5 units of NPH in the morning and nothing at night. He maintains a pretty good sugar level (80 to 145 mg/dl [4.4 to 8.1 mmol/L]) because of his sports participation. How can I get him to gain weight without having to give him more insulin?

Answer:

Weight gain and loss (especially when it is purposeful) in a child with diabetes should be done in consultation with a dietitian. There are ways to supplement calories in a child with diabetes without significantly affecting their diabetes control. Please consult your diabetes team for a personalized approach that considers your child's age, weight, body surface area, and nutritional needs.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss