From Overland Park, Kansas, USA:

My 11 year old son, who has diabetes, and I have observed that when blood sugars are low the blood itself is lighter in color and less concentrated than when blood sugars are normal. We have also noticed that when blood sugars are higher the blood is more deep colored. What exactly causes this? We're curious!

You and your son are exactly correct. The color reaction occurs with an enzyme and is directly proportionate to the amount of glucose on the strip/in the blood at the time. The enzyme is glucose oxidase.

You may also want to correspond with the strip manufacturer and see if they send you some free goodies for asking.