Question:

From Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA:

My 15 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 12 1/2. He is very athletic and is also growing very fast now. His morning blood sugars are always high (at least 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]). I have done blood sugars in the middle of the night, but the results have been varied (115-350 mg/dl [6.4-19.4 mmol/L]). Will this ever end?

Answer:

I appreciate your frustration. Blood sugars will always take effort to aggressively control. However, you may wish to consult with your diabetes team regarding various ways of adjusting your son's insulin to better meet his needs. If you continue to have difficulty with overnight blood sugars, you may wish to use The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System to better determine exactly what his blood sugars are doing and how to change his insulin to better meet his needs.