Question:

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

I had gestational diabetes during pregnancy that was well controlled with diet (perhaps too well controlled?). I began pregnancy weighing 265 pounds and gained 8 pounds over the course of the pregnancy. My baby weighed 8 pounds 3 ounces at birth, and had no sugar problems or jaundice. My sugars only rose above 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] two hours post-prandial twice during the 12 weeks that I monitored. I followed a diabetes diet very closely. Postpartum I weigh 247 pounds. I am not making sufficient milk for my baby despite frequent nursing, lots of pumping, and prescription drugs. I do not have any of the usual problems that can cause low milk production (breast surgery, difficult birth, breast tissue abnormalities, etc.).

Has any link been found between weight loss during pregnancy with gestational diabetes and milk production? I'm hoping to do all I can to avoid the milk shortage with future pregnancies.

Answer:

I am not aware of any such relationship. I am sure that you already consulted with a lactation specialist but if not, then you may want to consider doing so. Low milk production after one pregnancy, does not mean it will happen again.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes